Thursday, December 26, 2013

A Texas Christmas

First off, important food things have happened:

I regret nothing.

Not to worry- I've worked off approximately 15% of all that food via the Cotton Belt Trail in McGregor. That thing is way prettier than the smell emanating from the adjacent city dump would have you believe.




I've also caught up with friends, mentors, coworkers, students, sorority sisters, and one very emotionally-needy kitty.



After spending a few days in DFW and approximately 36 hours in East Texas to visit my dad's family, I was finally able to settle in for a Waco Christmas. Some of my favorite pictures from the day:


My aunt painted this for my two sweet nieces. She knows the King family well.

Speaking of, Chandler is SUCH a happy baby.

  



My aunt always slips a new ornament onto our tree for us to find later. Very sneaky!

 Literally every member of the family received a Baylor gift. Mine ended up being all in black. No complaints here.

Mom's cross stitching: going strong for 26 years. #quality


My friend John and I went to look at Christmas lights later that night. We traveled through the rich people neighborhoods, but didn't get to the super great tacky stuff until we got back towards Woodway. 

I mean obviously I am a fan of any Baylor-themed Christmas lights, but I wanna see a yard where I think your December electric bill must be at least 300 dollars.

Thankfully, Wooded Crest Drive never disappoints.



And just in case you ever start to lose faith in humanity, here's a video of Chandler discovering tissue paper.



Luke 2:19 is not the norm for a favorite Christmas verse, but it has always captured my attention. I love how it breaks the flow of the language and makes the narrative very personal all of a sudden. We've just had heavenly hosts filling the sky and who knows how many shepherds bursting into this barn and you know those sheep had to be bleating up a storm. It's the most beautiful, chaotic celebration swiftly contrasted with this verse of pure stillness, silence, and gratitude. How fitting for the moments after Christ's arrival to be filled with both things.

I hope your holiday was as great a reminder of your blessings as mine was. To the last days of 2013!





No comments:

Post a Comment