Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Catch-up Like Woah

No blog for over a month? For shame.



So what have I been up to? Here's a grab bag of recent life events:


JoJo and I went to Brighton! It involved ferris wheels, vintage shopping (where I got a sweater with bear faces all over it for 5 pounds) and a very cold ocean experience. Watch our adventures above! I think you'll agree that Kitty would be real jealous. (Bonus points for reference-getters.)



I wrote my first piece for The State of Awesome and I think it's the beginning of a beautiful friendship. Read my sassy post here if you'd like your daily dose of reaction gifs. After that, check out a few of my other SoA favorites - like this one or this one.



We took a field trip (yes you can totally still have those in grad school) to Sussex and explored the villages of Sudbury and Lavenham. These places are the stereotypical "quaint English town" picture you have in your head. We were graciously shown around by a former chancellor of the University of Essex, Lord Phillips who insisted we call him Andrew. We started the day with a visit to Gainsborough House where we had a tea party in the back garden. Later on I made friends with some horses - Sussex Punches to be exact. #whatismylife


 

I've seen some incredible theatre. 

Good People did nothing but reinforce the fact that David Lindsay-Abaire is my favorite modern playwright. Getting to see Imelda Staunton from the front row for 10 pounds isn't that bad either. (Gotta love day seats.) Who knew Dolores Umbridge has a flawless Southie accent? 

Our articulation professor recommended us to see Jeeves & Wooster for top notch examples of the heightened RP accent. While the show isn't boundary-pushing or edgy, it's still fantastic. The physicality and impeccable timing required led to applause break after applause break. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face for two straight hours.

Katie and I snagged two return tickets for one of the last performances of Fiona Shaw's one-woman show at the Barbican. What's even better, there was a talkback with Fiona and the director afterwards. This was a case of me not being a huge fan of the show itself, while still have extreme appreciation for what that woman was able to do onstage. I can't imagine the stamina she must have to fill such a big space for such a period of time. Her character work was Beyonce-level flawless.



Our final shows of our first year have begun! While getting to perform at the Cockpit in July is exciting, it also means that some of my classmates will soon be leaving. These shows are the final, culminating performances for those of my classmates on the MA track. Despite this impending sadness, I'm really stoked to be a part of an all-female version of Shakespeare's Two Gentlemen of Verona!

Two Gents (or #2GoV for social media purposes) is believed to be one of Shakespeare's first plays and is therefore thought to have a bit of immaturity about it. That belief combined with a jarring "not-so-happy" ending lend this to being one of Billy's least performed comedies. But honestly, I'm kinda loving it. The story is interesting while not being too convoluted. The characters are super intriguing with complicated obstacles. And you can see inspirations for later Shakespeare works all over the place - everything from Romeo & Juliet to Twelfth Night to As You Like It tie back into this play somehow. 

Plus...it's really funny! I may be slightly biased since I'm playing Speed, one of the two main clowns. I absolutely adore Speed. He is the sassiest boy-servant on paper and literally does not care. One of Shakespeare's greatest tools is giving lower-class characters the moral high-ground. They constantly sit in judgement over the follies of their wealthy masters. Speed is given license to poke fun at and even challenge those around him, regardless of station. That's exciting to get to portray on stage! Perhaps my favorite Speed line, however is not a challenge but a boast to fellow servant Lance- 
"I tell thee my master is become a hot lover!"

I don't think there's a way I can screw that one up. It's too good. Thanks Bill.


I apologize once again, dearest tens of blog readers, for leaving you so in the dark. Here is a cat gif in penance.



To the Bard and all the others,

No comments:

Post a Comment