Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The First Days

My last little Texas road trip to DFW with Emily included goodbyes to the in-construction Baylor Stadium and of course a stop to get some world famous Czech Stop kolaches. It's amazing how fast 2 hours flies by when you're laughing with a best friend.


We made it pretty easily through customs at Heathrow with all of this (yep, all mine).


My room at the hotel we stayed in the first night had the most lovely view of Olympic Park with downtown's skyline in the background.


The next day was move-in day! That also means it was the first time I was meeting my most fantastic room flatmate in person - JoJo! Our first interaction consisted of high pitched, sorority girl yelling and a solid seven second hug in the middle of our front doorstep. I think that's the best start possible, don't you?


We're in the middle of induction week over here which means we're doing lots of welcome, orientation, and registration-type tasks. That doesn't leave a ton of time for sightseeing or decorating our place, but not to worry, that giantly obnoxious Texas flag that I made sure to pack first thing is already hanging above my bed.

We have been able to do a lot of walking and exploring of our Loughton neighborhood so far:

 

 

There's also this pub literally a block down the street:

Such a shame I'm not a pint-drinker, right?
We have a "London adventure day" with our program tomorrow, so I'm thinking I'll have more interesting things to add soon, but the basics are this: I love my parents for coming out here with me, getting me settled, and supporting me in this journey. I love that my flatmate and our house is the definition of a best-case scenario. I love the incredibly interesting, funny, lovely people that my cohort is made up of. I love the sense of anticipation for the next two years streaming through my head and my heart.

Now JoJo and I are off to M&S to find some sheets that don't feel like cardboard (protip: don't ever think that 4 pound sheets are a great find).

To grad school!


No comments:

Post a Comment