Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Texas, I Miss You: A List

Though I initially wasn't planning for it, I'm going home for spring break. Since we're on a three term system over here, our spring break is later and longer than those in the US. So in less than two weeks I will find myself back again on Texas soil for a whole fortnight. (Yes. I said fortnight.)

Now, I absolutely love London. The UK is a wonderful place to live, but it's just not quite home. (Not yet, anyway.) So in anticipation, I thought I would share a list of all the little things this Texan misses the most about her native land.


1. Diet DP
A fresh fountain Diet Dr. Pepper from Chick-fil-a or Whataburger is just the most delicious poison I allow myself to drink on the regular. Have I mentioned that Dr. Pepper was invented in my hometown? If not, you haven't been paying close enough attention. I say that at least once a month. 

Speaking of Whataburger…


2. Whataburger
This food will be available in heaven. I'm certain of it. Also along the food lines...


3. Delicious Mexican/Tex-Mex food
 
Fuzzy's, Rusty, Torchy's Tacos - I love them all despite their very questionable choices for restaurant naming. 

Ok, just one more food thing…


4. Real bacon
In the UK, they have this stuff called "streaky bacon." Now at the end of the day, it's meat from a pig, so I probably won't turn my nose up at it…but it's just not the real thing. 


5. Driving
You have to drive everywhere in Texas. I know how bad that is for the environment, but when things are twenty miles minimum away - it's just a fact. You don't realize how personal and important that little bit of space is until you never have it anymore. Driving to work or an audition or wherever was such an important preparation for my day. It got me ready to face the world in some kind of way. 

Plus…I like to sing. Singing in my car doesn't bother anyone. I can wail along to TSwift (not ashamed) and all is right with the world. I miss that.


6. Sporting events I understand/care about
 
Ok, so first off, yes, you can be a fan of both professional baseball teams in Texas. Second off, I think the Astros should only ever play in vintage rainbow uniforms. Thirdly- sic 'em bearrrrrrs.

The sports here are…different. Rugby is legitimately crazy. Did you know they show curling on TV at times that are not the Olympics? Don't even get me started on the mess that is cricket. Soccer- excuse me, football- is fine, but I prefer games where 2-0 isn't a blow out. (I make an exception for hockey, because that sport is epic.)


7. Unified door opening/closing directions
Due to unfortunate events that happened in the US several decades ago, practically all doors in public spaces have to open outward. This means when you walk up to a store, you just pull toward you. No biggie. 

Well, things aren't that simple in the UK. Sometimes you pull, sometimes you push. Most of the time, Jenny looks like a hilarious dweeb who never learned the basic lesson of HOW TO ENTER A ROOM. I swear sometimes it takes me three tries. Think about that- three tries. Doors in London do not like me.


8. Stores with legit opening hours
We get out of class at 6:10. Eighty percent of the stores on our high street close at 6. SIX. I mean, luckily we have the kebab and chicken place open until 11 for emergencies, but if you need to pick up some green beans or cold medicine or laundry detergent- sorry. Only available to grad students on the weekends, evidently. There is one 24 hour grocery store located twenty minutes and seven tube stops away if you're desperate though. Have fun with that.


9. Stores I love
 

What red-blooded American girl doesn't love strolling down the aisles of Target with absolutely no purpose at hand?


None of these little things compare to the big ones - my family, my friends, my dear strange cat Zorro. I'm ready for their hugs, laughter, and crinkly-eyed smiles. That's what really makes Texas home.

To prove my love for London at some point I'm sure I'll have to do an opposite-style follow-up to this post. Truth be told- there are many things I prefer over here! These are just the things that a Texan's mind dwells on when they get homesick. Luckily, I'll have all these things in my sight (plus much more) soon enough! 

To Texas,



No comments:

Post a Comment